So, have you seen the new We are the World video?
It's a nice thought.
But watching it, I can't help but notice all the rap artists. You know, the guys normally singing about drugs, alcohol, and the objectification of women.
Seeing these men--usually so disrespectful and full of themselves--singing about coming together to help others really threw my little brain for a loop.
And, excuse my cynicism, but I can't help but wonder if they would have come forward if the vast majority of Haitians weren't black.
Watch the video and tell me what you think (about this or the song in general).
Monday, March 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I saw it when it played on television and I must say that as much as I loved the thought, I did get thrown for a loop by the rap artists for much the same reasons. These are the artists with the "songs" about such terrible things, and yet they are singing now about something so important and selfless as asking the world to come together in aid Haiti. It comes off a bit false to me, too much like an effort to show a good face rather than an effort to do something good for the world. I appreciate what they are all doing, however, and I bought the song.
So earlier today, before I saw this post, I watched an SNL parody of "We Are the World." When I saw this post, I decided to watch the video. I didn't make it halfway through before I stopped because the singing was getting to me. Yikes, you think they could have picked some better artists. (Justin Beiber, really? Come on!)
But anyhow, I mean I guess it's nice that rap artists have a "good" side, unless they're just doing it for publicity, like Nic said.
Here's the parody; you need to see it: http://www.hulu.com/watch/131066/saturday-night-live-we-are-the-world-cold-open
Eh, I really don't think it's any different from those regular folks who live questionable lifestyles and suddenly jump on the 'Join Together to Help Haiti' bandwagon. Not that that really justifies it, but still.
What I LOVED about the song was the diversity of artists-- it's not everyday you're gonna have Celine Dion, Brian Wilson (Beach Boys), The Jonas Brothers, and Kanye recording the same song, lol.
Post a Comment