As part of my scholarship package back in 2006, I was awarded a (small) stipend to help cover the costs of studying abroad.
Earlier this week, to claim the money I was awarded four years ago, I had to make multiple trips to four different offices in two buildings and provide three pieces of documentation to prove that I was, actually, studying abroad.
Because, obviously, a letter from the director of study abroad is not evidence enough for the scholarship office that I will be leaving the country. Nope. You also need a signed receipt saying I paid my application fee (my $350 non-refundable application fee) and the program description to ensure that the program is actually academically beneficial.
Naturally, none of these things would have been addressed by the study abroad director before she wrote me a letter.
If you remember the Rome Debacle, you know I have never had a good experience with the study abroad office. If you remember the Znamenski Affair, you know that I have never had a good experience with the scholarship office. So, by their powers combined . . .
Blah.
Nonetheless, I did eventually get it taken care of and will be on my way to Paris and Brussels in a week. I'm horrible at remembering to take pictures, but I will do my best. I don't know if I'll be able to blog while I'm gone, but I will journal and maybe get some of those entries up here when I'm back. Woo!
(Further scholarship woe: in addition to the stipend, I got the absolute minimum award the study abroad people give. I am a senior in my last semester with majors in international studies and history and minors in anthropology and French. A freshman biomedical engineering major was awarded the same sum. If you can make sense of this, I will bring you a cool souvenir. Like the Eiffel Tower.)
Friday, February 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I love that you actually get out and travel (as opposed to the people who say they love traveling yet never actually do any). Have fun while you're over there!
Do they actually give people more than the minimum? Of course, they probably think biomedical engineering is more important. Or maybe I just want a souvenir. Actually, I don't need one, but I do want to see pictures. How can you not take pictures when you go to Europe?
Post a Comment