Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Creating a Universe

It's been a while since I've posted anything even remotely creative. Mostly because of a longterm dearth of inspiration. However, thankfully this might be ending. Maybe. Sorta.

Allow me to explain.

Ever since I was little, I have enjoyed creating what will here be called Universes--imaginary lands (or galaxies) where the adventures of my imagination could unfold. I would invent countries, planets, galaxies, species, and the occasional language. It was fun.

Perhaps the most elaborate Universe was created by John and me when we were younger (as an add-on to the Star Wars saga).

My favorite way to start a new Universe was just to draw a Line on a piece of paper. This would--depending on appearance--become a river, a coast, a mountain range . . . whatever I saw in that line. Other lines would be added, along with dots and names, until an entire plane of existence was delineated by that single sheet of paper.

Until about a month ago, I had not done this in something like five or six years.

I was writing in my journal a few weeks ago and just started doodling (you know, like you do) when a Line appeared unbidden from my imagination. A new river.

More lines followed: tributaries, coastline, forests, mountains, cities.

Four subsequent journal pages outline a brief history, religious beliefs and practices, three ethnic groups, agricultural practices, and the rudimentary elements of two languages (mostly related to place names and deities).

A brand new Universe.

The problem?

After the initial creative breakthrough, I've hit a wall. I don't know where to go from here. Work on more backstory to flesh out the Universe? Brainstorm a story to plop down in the middle of it? Wait for more inspiration to come down from on high?

Where do I go from here?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Your Universe creating sounds awesome. Garrett was reading a Tolkein book while we were in Destin, and we talked about how amazing it was that he created all the history, languages, cultures, etc. that he did. I don't think I could ever write fantasy because it's so involved.

Anyhow, a lot of times I start with a character and then hit a wall, so you have a better start than I generally do. Since you know about what kind of people live there, you can brainstorm what kind of problems they encounter, what their conflicts are about, what celebrations they practice, what happens in their day-to-day lives, etc. and hopefully a plot will develop somewhere in there. Hope that helps; I would like to read about this place you're creating!

Anonymous said...

"Well he's a loud ki'gj!"

It really can be tough. Sometimes the thing that helped me out best with creativity would be to walk away from it for a day or two, then come back and see what I "missed."