Amy P-Shaw showed some interest in the Universe I've been developing for the past few weeks and, considering I haven't been inspired enough to add anything new to it in a while, I thought this might be a useful forum for organizing my thoughts and getting some input from others.
The plan right now, as I'm starting to write this, is to divide what I have so far into general categories and give brief overviews of each. more detailed posts (focused on individual topics) may come later.
Geography:
Hard to describe without pictures, but here goes. Imagine a square. The West side is a coast and the North, South, and East sides are mountains, impassible but for a small pass on the (very distant) Eastern side. It was through this pass that the inhabitants first passed many, many years ago, though they have lost all memory of it beyond mentions of "The Great Passing" and "The Gate" in their mythology.
A huge river runs East to West dividing the land in two. To the North of this river, another parallels it for a time, creating a sort of peninsula between the two rivers. This fertile area--and the delta the two rivers share--is where the majority of the people in the main ethnic group live. A smaller, separate river running further to the south is the home of the other major group.
People:
There are two major ethnic groups (as mentioned above) though one greatly outnumbers the other and has an offshoot that leads a different lifestyle, though sharing the same language and worldview.
The primary ethnic group refer to themselves as the Mat (a as in father). This word evolved from the Old Language word Mu'ot over time (mu- meaning "children, people, followers" and Ot being a religious concept described below). The majority of the Mat live in settled city-states along the main river. The most powerful of these city-states are Banipal, Ashur, and Dhopur (-ur meaning "city of" and the other parts of these names refering to the respective local cult deities).
The offshoot of this group are the Muhal ("People/children/followers of Hala"). Rather than living in settled communities, the Muhal live in nomadic clans who roam the region between the river and the Northern mountains.They are based on a combination of the Mongols and the Plains Indians, and their only permanent settlement is on a lake in the mountains where they have a temple to Hala, the horse goddess. They are the only people with horses and they guard them carefully. They are also looked down upon as uncivilized by the sedentary population, but still respected for their military prowess.
The other major ethnic group, on the Southern river, live around a city named Bumul (no definite translation). I haven't done as much work on this group because they are mostly just the exoticized "others" at the far end of the trade routes. They are descended from the same group of nomads who passed through The Gate, but their language and culture evolved independently of the Mat.
Worldview (Mat):
This is really complicated, but I'll do my best.
The broadest concepts in the Mat worldview are Actuality and Reality. Actuality being what actually is (the "Ultimate Truth" kinda thing) and Reality being the observable world (only the part of the Actuality you can see and experience). This is something that mostly the priests and philosophers discuss, the average person doesn't have much knowledge of these ideas.
Reality is divided into Orders or "echoes." The Mat word for these categories (not yet developed) calls to mind both the echoing of sound and the concentric circles formed on the surface of a pond by a drop of water.
The First Order deities are Oum, Ta, and Ot [-um (m) and -a (f) are suffixes attached to the names of deities and extremely important figures (posthumously) with a meaning similar to "Saint." Basically a respect thing--say "Hal" instead of "Hala" and you can expect some divine retribution.]. Oum is the sun and represents creative power (the potter). Ta is the earth and represents creative potential (the clay). Both are seen as equally powerful and equal partners in creation.
Ot is not a deity as much as a concept, and probably the most important component of the Mat worldview. Ot is the relationship between Oum and Ta (the process of making the pot). Everything between the sun and the Earth is part of Ot, the expression of the love between the two primary deities. Thus, Ot is most frequently equated with the sky (and sometimes fire). The idea is similar to the Force or the Tao, and I haven't even ironed it out completely yet.
The First Order is symbolically represented by a triangle: the top point represents Oum, the bottom line is Ta, and the space in the middle is Ot.
The Second Order is made up of secondary deities (think Greece, Rome, Egypt, etc.) often equated with familiar animals essential to survival: Banum (heron), Pala (fish), Ashum (bull), Dhopum (ram), Hala (horse), and Lhupum (wolf). These are the deities that the common man is most familiar with, and more details will be given in the post on mythology.
The Third Order is humanity, an echo of the First Order. Thus Mat, the children of Ot.
The Fourth Order consists of all other living things and is an echo of the second order; a horse is just an "echo" of Hala, for example.
The Fifth (and final) Order is everything else--dirt, rocks, etc. This is the echo of the Third Order ("from dust to dust" kinda thing) and thus the property of humanity to do with as they please.
Whew. Okay, that's it for now. I think I've given all the basics--that's about all I have so far. I also have some of the history and a few myths developed, but may give those separate posts. Thoughts? Or did I lose everyone?
Monday, May 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Phew... that is quite detailed! I got a little lost at the orders/echoes, so I'll have to go back and re-read it later. I would love to hear more about the people; characters are always my favorite part of a story.
Now to answer all your questions...
1. In earlier drafts of my novel, there was more information on the shooters, and there were multiple ones (about 4 or 5 that were in it together). Right now I'm leaning towards having one or maybe two. They were minor characters in the story originally as well, and I have not really found a way to incorporate them in this draft. This is something I will be sure to work on now that I know it's important to you.
2. Just from having it pointed out to me and rereading it I can see that you're definitely right about John's wording in that sentence. It's nice to have a guy helping me with this so all my guys don't sound like girls!
3. I am very open to organizing the book differently, but am uncertain as to the best way to do so. After I've written a more we can brainstorm some ideas.
4. It's good to know there's not enough info about The Crucible, since there are several people who have not read it. I'll definitely look for ways to add more info.
Ok, so I'm going to admit to something on here that I admit to very very few people. In middle school all the way through my junior year of college, I was an avid rpg'er. I don't mean like video games but more like huge message boards with plots within a world. I assume you know what I'm talking about-a group of people telling a story with their certain characters.
I loved it (I blame you for this with our stars wars club in 3rd grade). Creating characters and spinning plots were great. I started out with Harry Potter (I know roll eyes) but eventually ventured out and help open an original story line.
Alas, I have turned to sports.
But I love this universe you are creating and can't wait to read more.
My eyes got a little bleary reading all of that. But I'm quite interested. Tell me more.
That's pretty cool! Garrett is thinking about selling his Star Wars minis, but he's torn about it, so maybe if I take pictures of them for him it will make him feel a little better if he does get rid of them.
Post a Comment