* * *
DISCLAIMERThis post was written in response to something I read while blog-hopping that kinda got to me. I apologize for any strong wording or seeming disorganization, I promise it makes more sense in context.
Also, I reworded that sentence down there to be a little more PC for you, Anna. Happy? ;)
* * *
In my opinion, more often than not.
(You may not want to let the kids read this one.)
The biggest fault with Christianity today (as well as most other religions) is that it has evolved to a point at which it ceases to be applicable to the day-to-day lives of people. Instead of humble people committed to the ideas of Christ, all that most people outside the faith are able to see is a seemingly hypocritical group who keep rigid adherence to some rules while blatantly disregarding others without any substantial reason why.
I really don't care to get into the whole homosexuality debate, but it makes a great example. The Bible says this is wrong in the Old Testament. However, the Old Testament also says not to touch the skin of a dead pig (anyone ever played football?) or eat shrimp (cocktail shrimp, shrimp gumbo, shrimp sandwich, shrimp scampi, shrimp . . .), while it condones slavery (as long as the person is of a different people group) and stoning adulteresses to death.
(For more examples, see this site.)
The New Testament even suggests women should put off wearing make-up and fancy clothes.
So why is it okay for a woman to show up to a church picnic in lipstick, play football, and eat gumbo when it isn't okay to be gay? I--like many--would really like to know the justification here.
Besides, I am pretty sure it is easier to choose not to wear makeup or play football than it is to choose not to be gay (as partially evidenced by the fact that gay is an adjective and "wear" and "play" are verbs).
It doesn't help the case of most "Christians" that Jesus Himself didn't mention any of these offenses, preferring to tell people that the important thing was to love each other like they love themselves. I would also like to point out the fact that He didn't generally attend the synagogue picnics, instead hanging out with tax collectors and hookers.
But this discrepancy--between what Jesus said and the ideals that "Christians" espouse today--is the second point I would like to address.
Please tell me how it is possible to draw a connection between a Man who encouraged people to feed children and take care of widows and a militant political party whose chief tenet is to look after yourself?
If you try to make the argument that people don't want the government helping people, they would rather donate their own money to a charity of their choice, I would like to know the last time you made a donation to any charity (your own church doesn't count).
If that is your argument, I would also like to know what you think a government is for, if it is not there to take care of its people. Providing broader healthcare coverage isn't socialist--it's smart. And right now the US has one of the worst healthcare systems of any developed nation.
We're even ranked after Cuba.
Ouch.
Anyway, I've drifted considerably from my original purpose and if I don't stop now, I'll keep talking about healthcare until I'm blue in the face.
To close, I would just like to say that, in my opinion, Christianity needs a major facelift--maybe even another Reformation--if it wants to look anything like Jesus. There's a verse in one of the gospels where Jesus asks if the Son of Man will find faith when He returns to the earth.
As it looks right now, He may find a faith . . . but He may not be able to recognize it much as His own.

7 comments:
I agree with you. I also believe that Christianity has become to civil but that is a different thought completely.
I think to say the NT forbids a woman to wear make-up or fancy clothes is a bit of an overstatement.
While Paul says in 1 Timothy that he wants women to 'adorn themselves with proper clothing, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments', he goes on to say, 'but rather by means of good works , as is proper for women making a claim to godliness'. (NASB)
In the same way, Peter states, 'Your adornment must not be merely external-- braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God' (1 Pet. 3:3-4 NASB).
While it may seem within that very sentence that the problem is with the fancy clothing and hair, the actual problem (as is explain after the statement against it) is that women do not need to find their value or their beauty in these things. Wearing them is one thing, depending on them to define who you are is totally different.
The interesting thing about Peter's statement is that it appears he is only addressing wives, whereas Paul seems to be addressing all women. Hm.
Sorry for the long comment. I've been studying women (Godly living, their roles in church and at home, etc.) for a little over a year now and couldn't help but offer a slightly different look at what is said.
I suppose what I am saying is that religon has become to present itself as safe. As if you believe in Jesus, nothing bad will ever happen to you. John the Baptist was beheaded for his belief. I also believe that people do not believe in miracles. It seems that youthful joy of believing is gone.
Disclaimer: The purpose of the following comment is not to infuse a debate, just to enlighten.
As Anna seemed to point out (I didn't read her entire comment), the NT verses about women are about the context of the culture and about acting out of worship.
In regards to being gay, it is also found in the NT, and is pretty blatant as to it being a sin. Check it out in Romans 1:21-27.
But now I will say I understand the point you are trying to make. I do believe many Christians fall into the trap of doing the day-the-day routine of just trying to do right, just because that's what you're "supposed to do" as a Christian. I've actually been thinking of this lately, and how the extreme of that seems to be when you want so much for Christianity to be different than the routine, that you try to make it into something that is not. People are trying to so hard to make the Gospel "relevant" to them, when it already is relevant to them!
I think there's a fine line between being legalistic and trying so hard to fit the Bible into modern culture (to make it "relevant") that it gets watered down, and people often have a hard time not doing one or the other. Where that happy medium is I cannot say. That's a matter of personal conviction. But that's where I believe Christianity is at for many people today.
When you come back one day, you need to talk to Charles Hampton about this. He did a lesson on the passage of Scripture about women in 1 Corinthians and explained the cultural context and why we (Southern Baptists) don't have a problem with women speaking in church but we do with preaching. I honestly don't remember what he said, I just remember that it was really good, Scripturally based, and I agreed with it. Sorry that's no help...
. . . aren't footballs made out of leather? i'm pretty sure they are ;)
i never realized we had such similar political beliefs!
oh, and in response to your "how does lexie afford to dress the way she does" question, i worked at the GAP for over a year and got a SWEEEEEET discount! hah. i also go to goodwill and other thrift stores. you'd be surprised at what you can find!
also .. you know how some people have "hobbies" like golf and scrapbooking and such? i guess my hobby is shopping? hah. i'm a "collector."
Post a Comment