Tuesday, October 21, 2008

So I'm a Little Frustrated.

I was looking back over the website for the study abroad program in Rome yesterday to see if I could find out when I would find out whether I was accepted or not and I noticed a very interesting date.

October 1st.

This is the date their website said applications to the program were due.

I was told October 15th by the study abroad advisor at Memphis. And that's when I turned in my application.

Now maybe Memphis is special as a member institution of the group supporting the program.

But I don't know how much hope I hold out for that.

So I'm frustrated.

I mean, I understand that maybe it was my responsibility to make sure I knew all the dates.

But if I go to the office at my university and they tell me the 15th, I'm not really going to question them.

What's the point in a due date, anyway, if it takes place after the date of the programs?

And, if you are a study abroad advisor, aren't you at least partially responsible for advising me correctly?

Shouldn't she have known or said something?

I think so.

If no one is going to help me, why am I paying ridiculous tuition to pay these people?

To complicate matters further, my passport has disappeared into thin air. I've torn my dorm room at Memphis apart. Eight or nine times.

And the same goes for my room at home which has been scoured by me, Mom, Dad, and any of my friends that happened to come close enough to my house to get dragged inside.

Problems that could cause:

I have to fill out two forms. The first one says I lost it, and as soon as I put that one in the mail, my old passport is no longer valid (which, knowing my luck, means I would find it 3-4 minutes after they pick up the mail). The second form(s) involves almost the exact same process as getting a regular passport would. Including, the best I can tell, the roughly $100 in fees and the 6 to 8 weeks for it to be processed.

I don't really have that long, especially since I need a visa.

In addition to all of this, I'm also having one of the busiest weeks academically I've had in a very long time. Papers. Tests. Torment. Anguish. Gnashing of teeth.

That is my life.

I know everything will work out the way it is supposed to, and I have faith enough in God to know that He has a plan.

But that doesn't make all of this any less frustrating.

So, if you were brave (or bored) enough to read all of this, please pray for the whole situation.

Thanks.

Love you.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I'm in a similar boat with you with my adviser. While I had researched everything I possibly could about my major, minors needed, and graduation, I still thought I would go ahead and meet with the adviser who is also the Head of the Department.

Let's just say that after that meeting, I realized that Head of the Department has little to no meaning at MTSU. The man was clueless and going to OTHER professors when I asked very simple questions.

Hope you get everything figured out!

Unknown said...

I really have had no problems with my advisor but then again I go to a school with a smaller population then Siegel. I will pray for you and wish you the best.

Remember, everything happens for a reason.

cecil said...

extra 60 bucks will get you the new passport expedited.

Laura said...

PRAYING!!!!