Okay, I know this is a topic that may ruffle some feathers, but I want to get a sense of what people think on this topic. And, considering (to my knowledge) my readers are universally female, I want your thoughts and opinions on gender roles.
However, before you give me yours you have to read mine. Mwahaha.
I know I might be in the minority on this, but I like to think there's a difference between people's genitalia and their brains.
My brain decides what bands I like to listen to, what books I want to read, and what activities I would like to participate in. Not the bodypart south of the border. Consequently, the idea that guys should only do certain things while girls should do others--moreover, that each sex was meant to perform certain tasks--is completely foreign to me.
This is probably reinforced by what I've studied in my international studies/anthropology courses and witnessed firsthand in my travels. Ideas of what is masculine or feminine vary widely from place to place and culture to culture. There are no universals.
I like to cook and bake. This is not because I'm "feminine" but because I'm hungry and it provides me with a creative outlet that has a practical end. I enjoy crocheting. Once again, it is creative and ultimately practical, while also being relaxing. The same is true of gardening, art, or writing.
I also enjoyed the time I got to spend building decks with my dad and I can scream at a soccer game on television with the best of 'em.
So, to me, it seems more important that my interests are, you know, interesting than that they are "masculine." I like things that are expressive, creative, and have a practical end.
My brain decides what I do.
It seems to me that the cultural ideas of the ultimate masculine or feminine are wholy impractical and don't exist in the real world. Would you want to be friends with our society's incarnation of the uber-man or superwoman? Yeah, thought not.
Everyone exists in the middle between these two extremes, so it seems ridiculous (to me) to even have these ideas. Let kids do what they want or what they are good at without attaching a list of arbitrary expectations to their behavior.
Now, in the home, I understand that there needs to be a division of labor between the two people. But shouldn't they decide who does what based on their interests/personal goals and needs? My mom stayed home to raise John and me. I'm glad she did. But I know other families where the dad stayed home and everything worked out fine.
What matters most is that things get done and that children are taken care of, not the person performing the tasks. My thoughts, anyway.
Yours?
Monday, August 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I come from a family with 3 athletic smart daughters (my sisters more so then me). My Dad is still asked if he ever wanted a boy. My Dad tends to laugh-both my sisters have won state championships.
I like to cook, bake and watch Glee but I'm not afraid to use a hammer or lug my suitcase.
So do I believe there should be certain gender roles? No. Do I get a bit upset when boys think I am weak-umm yeah.
I did just read an interesting self help book called-Nice girls don't get corner offices. I will say that there are certain ways women act differently then men. We approach problems differently. As little girls, we are taught differently, it is good that we are sweet, kind and cute. Little boys are taught to be rough, strong and rugged.
I think you bring up a good point--the differences in behavior between the sexes are caused by early education, not any natural or biological factors. It's all cultural.
I don't think it's ALL cultural, but I agree some of it is. In my psychology classes and in other readings and such I have read that biologically, men and women are different. Like Cara said, woman and men approach problems differently, think differently, process information differently, etc. And I think there are some masculine and feminine traits that are universal and biological. BUT I do agree some things are cultural, like I think cooking was a good example. That is definitely something that is not really feminine, it just has a stigma attached to it. If I can think of any good examples later I'll mention those, but that's all I have for now. It's interesting to think about.
I've been studying gender roles (more so in marriage than anything else) for a little over three years, and honestly, I couldn't fit what I believe into a comment box. However, I will say that I do not believe gender roles have anything to do with hobbies and interests. There's a fine line between gender roles and gender stereotypes. A stereotype would be 'Sewing is only for women. Watching football is only for men'. And yes, the American culture is FULL of gender stereotypes. A gender role is how we. . . respond, how we communicate, and how we. . . just are. Again, I study this on the marriage perspective, so it's a little difficult to talk about it on an all-encompassing level.
Post a Comment