Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Images of Authority

It should be obvious by now that my self-regulatory abilities at work are next to nothing. Give me a computer and a rolling deadline and I can procrastinate like no one's business.

I read a thing recently (don't remember where) saying there is statistically-supported evidence that hanging a picture of an authority figure over your desk increases your focus and productivity.

So, I started thinking ... whose mug would I want staring down at me, guilting me into working hard?

Honestly, I have no idea. Most of my fictional heros are outlaws (Han Solo, Jack Sparrow) and the real ones are predominantly revolutionary figures (Che, Sultan-Galiev). None of those really make me want to sit down and churn out a paper for The Man.

Jesus, maybe? Or does He still fall into the "revolutionary characters" category?

I really don't know.

Who would you pick?

5 comments:

Amy said...

I answered your question as another comment on my blog entry so others could see as well.

That's an intriguing concept. I can think of authority figures I admire, but like you, who is actually going to inspire me to work for the Man? Hmmm...

Amy said...

It just happened that way; that seems to be the only field where one can get jobs.

Anna W. said...

I don't have an authoritative figure that inspires me, but there are a couple of bloggers (i.e. Ree Drummond, of the Pioneer Woman) whom I admire. I also keep a couple of Bible verses close to heart to keep me motivated to get things done around here ('She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness' is a big one.

Anna W. said...

best. advise. ever. !

Amy said...

I have used Buitoni before and mixed it with sauce, but got bored with it after a while. Maybe I ought to try out the sauce you suggested to try something different. Thanks for the suggestions!