Saturday, June 12, 2010

Soccer, Redwoods, and Resumes

So, first things first.

Once every four years I care about a sports event. Yep, the World Cup. This year it's particularly interesting because the US team is actually supposed to stand a chance and not get eliminated right off the bat. I suppose we'll know how good they actually are after they've played England later today.

More posts on soccer later.

My Sequoias died. All three of the little guys. I weeded two out of the little greenhouse (to prevent over-crowding) and replanted them, but they didn't survive. And now some wee tiny bugs have eaten completely through the stalk (Is it a trunk even if it's no bigger around than a needle?) of the last one.

So that was a waste of ten dollars, I guess. A particularly annoying, frustrating waste.

Speaking of frustration, resumes.

Particularly objective statements/summaries. I'm supposed to submit a resume to apply for this other position on campus and the whole thing looks really schnazzy, I just keep drawing a blank on the objective section. There are two big problems.

First, the only description of the job I'm applying for is beyooond vague. Thus it's hard to narrow down what I should say about myself and my goals because I don't know what they want to hear.

Second, I am too long-winded. I only have 2-3 lines to communicate all of this information and make an impression and what-not, and I have a real problem being concise and detailed.

Blah. I need to get something done, though, I've been sitting on this resume for like a week.

Anyway, gotta go clean up. People are coming over to watch the game and the apartment is a wreck.

Go USA!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Wait, so you're applying for a SECOND job now? Good grief. I'm not very good with objectives either... plus I don't what the job is.

I wish I could watch the game, but it seems to be on some channel we don't have (probably ESPN?).

Amy said...

Found it on ABC, I checked right after making that comment. Silly me.

BTW, since Darth Vader is a villain I hope Lucas did not put too much of himself in him. But now that you mention it, I have to wonder if Lucas in whiny, since that is such a common trait among his characters...

Anna W. said...

I wish I could find a copy of John's resume-- he updates it regularly and has and has a really good objective on there.

Pretty sure the last time the World Cup happened, we were ALL watching it at your place!

Grace said...

Not a waste, Raoul. A learning experience.
;)