Monday, September 21, 2009

District 9


Yesterday (Or was it Saturday? I don't remember . . .) I went to see District 9 with Marvin. I had heard particularly mixed reviews, so I wasn't really sure what to think going into it.

I am happy to say that I was presently surprised--the movie was pretty good.

Sure, there was a lot of cursing. Sure, some gore. However, over all, the movie was pretty well-made.

One of the criticisms I had heard was that it lacked a plot--this had me worried since that is a major sticking point for me. I don't know what that person was smoking, because I only found one major hole and was pretty impressed with the amount of social commentary they were able to cram into a sci-fi flick.

Good job, Pete.

[I need to come up with some sort of system to rank books, movies, etc. so that these posts are a little more organized. "Stars" or "thumbs up" seem a little cliché. . . any suggestions?]

2 comments:

Amy said...

I want to see it sometime, but will probably wait for it to be on DVD. I've heard mostly good things about it, sans language and gore.

If I was reviewing, I would probably have to break it down like:
Plot: B
Characters: A
etc.

Amy Anne said...

I saw District 9. It was intresting. The previews made it look a lot different than what was really going to happen.
You should rate them by different points in history. Like the wars or something.. since you are an INSANE history buff.. :)