Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife

(Second post in two days . . . whoo!)

So, I read this:


Then went to see this:


And, to repeat the worn cliché, the book was infinitely better than the movie.

The book--which excellently wove together the genres of romance and science fiction/fantasy--had been completely dumbed down for the movie. I understand that you need to make abridgments to fit 536 pages worth of information and character development into a two-hour time slot. But you don't really have to remove any element of surprise through heavy foreshadowing or completely change the personalities and appearances of all but the main characters.

Main characters . . . that brings me to my next point.

Which is my utter confusion at how this movie received a PG-13 rating.

There were no fewer than 5 shots of Eric Bana's butt. And I don't mean they flashed it up there for a second . . . I mean shots of his behind. They even showed Rachel McAdam's behind once or twice, along with a brief upper-body side shot.

PG-13? Really? Yay, American culture.

I guess I'm just a prude. Who likes movies with substantial plots.

Anyway . . . if you want a good read that will make you think and ultimately cry like a little girl, read The Time Traveler's Wife. If you prefer to have everything laid out for you--including the Bana-butt--watch the film.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I heard the movie is very disappointing, which is too bad because it looked interesting. Maybe I'll read the book once I complete the Left Behind series.

Unknown said...

I do enjoy Bana's butt...but the book was awesome