Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Lovely Bones

I've apparently developed the habit of reading books shortly before they are made into movies.

Yeah, I need to nip that in the bud or I'll probably never be able to enjoy another movie for as long as I live.

Anyway, this was my latest literary victim:


The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold about to be released as a movie directed by Peter Jackson.

The entire story is told from the perspective of a 13-year-old victim of a vicious murder as she watches events unfold in the lives of those to whom she was close on Earth from heaven. It can be disturbing at times (consider the subject matter), so if you have an over-active imagination like me, I really don't advise reading a lot right before bed.

It is a really good read, however. I was able to tear through it in the spare time of 3 or so days. (Coulda finished sooner if I had tried.)

Now, though, I'm leery of seeing the movie because it probably can't live up to my expectations.

Has anyone else read this? I want to discuss the ending, but don't want to put any spoilers out here on the open 'net.

Up next? Probably a Paulo Coelho novel, but then the queue is empty.

Suggestions?

3 comments:

Anna W. said...

I remember several of my friends reading this book in high school and really enjoying it.

I started reading Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson about a month ago and have really enjoyed it so far. I've fallen way behind (I definitely could have finished it by now but we've been crazy busy). It's essentially a memoir written in third person about a man who has been inspired to build schools for girls in Pakistan, and it follows him through his journey.

I also just finished Little Woman and plan on reading Anne of Green Gables, but you may not have an interest in those :) (though John-- the alpha male-- actually loved AoGG), haha.

Amy said...

I was about to point out that Peter Jackson is a good director, but then I remembered he does have a reputation for changing LOTR quite a bit...

Lexie said...

i feel like it's good until the end ... like the premise was good, but it doesnt hold up.

i am soooo intrigued by the movie. the last book-to-movie film i watched was the time traveler's wife, and it was a HORRIBLE adaptation! even though i absolutely love the female lead.